Human habitat and its consequences.
Pregnant Woman In Front Of A Clothes Store, Lubango, Angola by Eric Lafforgue on Flickr.
Lubango is the capital of the province of Huila, located in southwestern Angola, about 160 kilometers (100 miles) east of Namibe (formerly Moçamedes), to which it is linked by rail. The current population is about 1,150,000 inhabitants.
The city was originally established in 1882 as a settlement for colonists from the Madeira island. It is located on a 1,760 metres (5,774 feet) high Plateau and is surrounded by the mountains. The city is built in a Portuguese style of architecture, with a cathedral, commerce hall, and an industrial hall. Widely known as the “City of Schools”, it was one of the first countryside cities to have secondary schools or high schools.
This fertile area attracted 55 Boer families from Transvaal Republic (Dorslandtrekkers) in the beginning of the 1880’s. They developed these lands and, as a reward, were granted the Portuguese nationality. After the Berlin Conference in 1884, this territory officially became Portuguese. As a consequence, the authorities refused to grant 45 of these families the ownership on those lands, which led them to go back to South-West Africa. Under Portuguese rule it became the main inland city of Portuguese Angola and was renamed Sa da Bandeira before getting its former name back at the independence.
Nowadays the economic activity is based on agriculture with the production of: cereals, meat, tobacco, fruit and vegetables.
© Eric Lafforguewww.ericlafforgue.com
Home • Archive • RSS • hasaportfolio theme by matt mcinerney